Back to top

Where to Find Help?

Per the World Health Organization (WHO), coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.

Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment.  Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.

The best way to prevent and slow down transmission is be well informed about the COVID-19 virus, the disease it causes and how it spreads. Protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands or using an alcohol based rub frequently and not touching your face. 

The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you also practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow).


Additional Resources and/or Links:


Syptoms and testin of COVID-19:

COVID-19 Facts:

Isolation for homeless:

Guidance for homeless providers:

COVID-19 in Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups:


Ramsey County: 


SNAPS COVID-19 Infectious Disease Prevention & Response page

COVID-19: Essential Services for Encampments During an Infectious Disease Outbreak

COVID-19: Shelter Management During an Infectious Disease Outbreak

Housing/Resource Updates:

Coordinated Entry is the process to access supportive housing for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Supportive housing resources are extremely limited. Because of this, individuals and families with the highest vulnerability, most significant service needs, and longest history of homelessness are prioritized. Housing is not guaranteed through this process.

To be eligible for a housing assessment in Ramsey County, households must meet one of the following homeless definitions:

    • HUD Homeless - staying in shelter, outside, or in other places not meant for human habitation; exiting an institution where person/household resided for 90 days or less and who resided in shelter or other place not meant for human habitation prior to entering the institution; and/or fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence.
    • Long Term Homeless (LTH) - lacking a permanent place to live continuously for a year or more or at least four times in the past three years.  Time spent in an institutional care or correctional facility (if longer than 90 days) shall be considered "excluded time" and does not count toward length of time a household has been homeless.  Episodes of homelessness can include time doubled-up or couch-hopping.  Doubled-up or couch-hopping is considered homeless if that arrangement has persisted less than 12 months.
    • For Youth (ages 24 and younger) ONLY: Minnesota Homeless - any unaccompanied youth or youth aged heads of households that is without a permanent place to live that is fit for human habitation.

To read more Ramsey County Coordinated Entry System (CES) Policies and/or the Policy Manual: Please Click Here

To access the Ramsey County CE Grievance, Transfer and Appeals form: Please Click Here

To become a Ramsey County CE Assessing Agency, please contact: Loni Aadalen, CoC Coordinator, at [email protected].


Seeking Emergency Shelter:

Shelter space is reserved for Ramsey County families with minor children. To determine eligibility, call the United Way at 651-291-0211, for a prescreen. If a family is currently unsheltered, they can also call the Ramsey County's Homeless Services Team directly during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8am to 5:15pm) at 651-266-7818.

• Space for Ramsey County homeless family emergency shelter is limited and beds are not immediately available. Completing an intake with Ramsey County shelter staff is the only way to be placed on the shelter waitlist. Please contact Jacqueline Harden at 651-266-7838 (Monday - Friday, 8am to 4:30pm) and/or Tim Martin at 651-266-7753 (Tuesday - Friday, 7:00am to 5:15pm).
• Intakes are completed over the phone. 


For those experiencing domestic violence, Day One Services may be able to help find a safe place for families while fleeing abuse. Call Day One Services at 1-866-223-1111.


Seeking Coordinated Entry (housing assessment):

Families who are sleeping in a place not meant for human habitation (streets, car, camping, public transit, etc.) or staying at a domestic violence shelter and are only looking for supportive housing (not shelter) can call Catholic Charities at 651-215-2262 for a housing assessment.

Seeking Emergency Shelter:

Single adults who are 22 years or older and seeking immediate shelter can call Catholic Charities - Higher Ground (formerly the Dorothy Day Center) at 651-647-2350 - option #7 or Union Gospel Mission at 651-292-1721 (Shelter for men only). Catholic Charities - Higher Ground has a daily lottery for their shelter beds; people can call or show up in-person daily from 9am to 3:30pm (starting 9/7/2020). Names are then drawn through a lottery system at 4pm each day (starting 9/7/2020). Additional shelter beds are available at Safe Space emergency shelter (these beds are by referral only).


Single adults seeking to access the Ramsey County emergency hotel shelter referral leads can email the Adult Hotel Shelter team at [email protected]


Seeking Coordinated Entry:

Single adults who are 25 years or older, currently experiencing homelessness and staying in a shelter, will need to complete a housing assessment via coordinated entry (CE) to determine long-term housing options.   Contact the Catholic Charities - Higher Ground housing assessor at 651-404-6406 for an assessment over the phone, or by attending CROP (Community Resource Outreach Project) on Wednesdays from 1pm-3pm (first come, first serve basis) at George Latimer Central Library, 90 West 4th Street, St. Paul, MN 55102 (Otto Bremer Community Room, 1st Floor).


Single adults who are 25 years or older, currently experiencing homelessness and not staying in shelter, will need to complete a housing assessment via CE to determine long-term housing options. Single adults not staying in shelter can contact Caroline with Minnesota Community Care. All assessments are being done over the phone currently.

Phone: 651-602-7549 Email: [email protected].

If you are experiencing homelessness and want to access supportive housing, the first step is to complete a Coordinated Entry Assessment. There are several ways to access Coordinated Entry for youth (16-24 year olds): 

Drop-in Center – Assessments are completed at SafeZone for 16-24 year olds, which includes parenting youth ages 16 to 17 years old. SafeZone Drop-In Center for Homeless Youth: 130 East 7th Street, St. Paul, MN 55101 – Call to schedule at (651)-224-9644

Resource Line: Youth (ages 12-24) who are homeless or at-risk may also contact the Youth Resource line through the YMCA.  The Youth Resource Line is a free message line where YMCA staff will assist in problem-solving information on community resources and referrals; resources include food shelves, housing, employment, legal services, education, and health care.  The Youth Resource Line is available from 8am - 8pm, 7 days a week by calling 763-493-3052

Outreach: Youth between the ages of 16-24 who are currently homeless but not staying in a shelter can find out if they are eligible for Coordinated Entry by meeting with a StreetWorks Outreach Worker. Outreach Workers schedules and contact information can be found at

Shelters: Shelters have trained assessors for participants in their program. For live, up to date shelter availability for youth, you can visit You can also call the Ramsey County youth shelter line at 651-444-5757.  

Parenting Youth (ages 18-24)

Parenting Youth ages 18-24 connect with Coordinated Entry for Families (CAHS) in Ramsey County by calling 651-215-2262. If you are staying in a shelter, let your shelter staff know that you are interested in completing a Coordinated Entry for housing assessment.

Immediate Help

Need Immediate Help? Call this 24 hour hotline- 612-377-8800 or Txt4 Help 612-400-SAFE Learn more.

The Bridge for Youth

1111 W. 22nd St.

Minneapolis, MN 55405


Download the Youth Services Network (YSN) App for Free Learn more.


When all community family shelter space is full, the Emergency (Cold Weather) Shelter Program is available for homeless families with minor children residing in a place not meant for human habitation who are on or need to be added to the waiting list to get into Ramsey County Family Emergency Shelter.  A family must have an unsheltered status within the last seven (7) days and the unsheltered homeless status must be verified by a third-party professional (ie: case manager, school counselor, outreach worker, police officer, etc.).  Any families that are residing in a place not meant for human habitation may contact the Ramsey County Homeless Services Office directly at 651-266-7818.  This program currently operates year round.


Help with rent/mortgage back payments and utilities shutoffs. Emergency Assistance/Emergency General Assistance (EA/EGA) funds can help with housing, such as past due rent, a damage deposit, or to stop foreclosure. EA/EGA can also help pay for utilities when there is a threat of disconnection. Utilities include electricity, heat, and water. To apply for help, call 651-266-4884 or apply online at or at 

More information available online here:



Are you a landlord with renters who have fallen behind on rent due to COVID-19? The Zero Balance Project is now accepting applications from landlords on behalf of their renters. More information about the Zero Balance Project.  



Family Homelessness Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP) funds is an on-going grant that Ramsey County receives through Minnesota Housing Finance Agency (MN Housing) to fund four different service models within Ramsey County: street outreach, prevention assistance/homeless assistance, rapid rehousing and coordinated entry. FHPAP funds target single adults, youth ages 24 and younger, and/or families with minor children that are at risk of homelessness (ie: past due rent, mortgage or utility disconnection) or already experiencing homelessness (staying outside and/or with friends).

Prevention assistance can assist households with late rent and/or utility shut off payments. Homeless Assistance is to assist households with a one-time deposit and/or 1st month's rent payment to move into new housing if the household is already homeless and not eligible for Coordinated Entry (CE).  Households seeking rapid rehousing (RRH) programs must have a housing assessment via coordinated entry (CE) and be placed on the priority list for Coordinated Entry (CE).

Please click on the link below to obtain a contact list of the currently funded FHPAP providers in Ramsey County or, to access the prevention providers only, please click on the attached pdf down below.

2019-2021 Ramsey County FHPAP Sub Grantee Contact List



Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) is available to St. Paul residents through Ramsey County via a Joint Powers Agreement (JPA) with the City of St. Paul.  ESG funds can be used for street outreach, operational costs of emergency shelters, rapidly rehouse homeless individuals and families (through Coordinated Entry), and/or to prevent individuals/families from becoming homeless (ie: late rent assistance and/or utility shut off assistance).  For more information on ESG funds or to receive a list of funded agencies, please refer to the attachment below "FY2020 ESG PROVIDERS".


From 2/5/2021 to 2/16/2021, Ramsey County and our partners including Catholic Charities, Model Cities, Listening House, Metro Transit Police Department, City of Saint Paul, and Union Gospel Mission are preparing for a cold weather emergency over the next few days. This weekend you will see the following changes across our homeless service system:

    • Saint Paul Opportunity Center will be opening earlier. Hours will be 8:00am to 5:30pm
    • Freedom House will stay open late. Hours will be 8:00am to 9:30pm
    • Additional emergency beds will open up across the system including at Safe Space, Higher Ground, and Freedom House.
      • Shelters will coordinate capacity
    • Some first responder teams will help with transport residents between sites

Please alert anyone residing outside of these additional options.

Thank you to all of the partners involved!

*To help connect someone in need to shelter, contact St. Paul Police non-emergency at 651-291-1111 or Ramsey County at 651-266-7818. Referrals can be made by emailing [email protected].

*Additional information about the City's ongoing response to support individuals experiencing homelessness to support, services, resources, and shelter can be found at

*Additional information on the network of shelter resources available for those experiencing homelessness in Ramsey County and Saint Paul is available at


Additional Warming Center when temperatures are below zero:

St. Andrews Community Resource Center (900 Stillwater Road, Mahtomedi, MN) - Phone number: 651-762-9124

  • Hours are between 10-3, Monday - Thursday
  • Below zero overnight
  • Warm meal and hospitality
  • Shower and towels/blankets will be available