2022-2023 Extreme (Cold) Weather Strategy
Ramsey County will operate warming spaces every night this winter during the months of December, January, and February to supplement existing shelter beds; provide referral and transportation to and from those warming spaces through February of 2023; and provide referral to and transportation between shelters through June of 2023.
Union Gospel Mission
435 University Ave E.
(University & Lafayette)
St. Paul, MN 55130
Opening December 1
Phalen Activity Center
1530 Phalen Dr.
St. Paul, MN 55106
*Opening date TBD*
Youth ages 14-24
St. Paul Reformation Church
100 N. Oxford St.
St. Paul, MN 55104
Temporary Location – Opening December 1
- These low-barrier spaces will be open every night from 9:30 P.M. – 6:30 A.M.
- Warming spaces will provide seating, blankets, light snacks and beverages (such as coffee and cocoa), and warming supplies (such as mittens and hats).
- Each location will have two staff plus volunteers on duty every night; plus a floating supervisor.
- Van transportation loops will operate every night from 9:00 P.M. – 6:30 A.M.
- One loop will include the adult warming spaces (Phalen & UGM), Safe Space, and the St. Paul Opportunity Center. People will be able to access this transportation only at these locations.
- A second loop will provide transportation for youth and families.
- Referral staff will be on duty from 5:00 P.M. – 1:00 A.M. to refer people to open shelter beds and warming spaces.
- Contact referral staff at 651-266-1050 or [email protected].
- Family shelter staff can be reached 7:00 A.M. – 5:15 P.M. at [email protected]. After 5:15, people can contact the cold weather referral line or go directly to a Warming Space.
- Shelters may make additional beds available when the temperature is at or below zero degrees and/or the windchill is -15 and below. (For reference, there were 29 nights at or below zero last winter.)
- While the warming spaces are planned for December – February, transportation and referral to shelters will operate through June 30, 2023.
Additional suburban Ramsey County Warming Center when temperatures are below zero:
St. Andrews Community Resource Center (900 Stillwater Road, Mahtomedi, MN) - Phone number: 651-762-9124
- Hours are between 10-3, Monday - Thursday
- Below zero overnight
- Warm meal and hospitality
- Shower and towels/blankets will be available
Hot Weather Resources:
In the event of hot weather, Ramsey County has mapped out Cooling Center Locations, linked here.